Why the site was down again..

Started by Borthran, November 18, 2004, 06:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borthran

QuoteTo all of our customers,

As president and founder of JHosts, I wish to offer my sincerest apologies for the network outage we experienced today. At approximately 1:32 PM EST, the datacenter housing our DNS and backup servers, lost fiber connectivity on an essential OC-48, which caused problems across the network which have been resolved. The provider of this Fiber is MCI who owns multiple OC-48's and OC-12's throughout the VA and Washington D.C. area. The fiber was accidentially cut by the Virgina Department of Transportation (VDOT) in northern Virginia. Although the fiber has miles upon miles of protected fiber on our local ring, the cut was so close to the datacenter that it affected this portion. We did have redundancy for this, but because of the drop of this bandwidth, the other line got so overloaded that it caused problems to the point where we were forced to wait for MCI to correct the problem.

Plan For Future Correction:
To avoid this problem ever happening in the future, we have devised the following plan that we thought we'd share with you to completely eliminate this problem from happening again. First of all, contracts have already been signed to an additional fiber provider, to add Deutsche Telecom to the network. This will add more redundancy. We will also be housing our ns2.jhosts.com portion of our DNS server in an off-site datacenter so that if one of the datacenters go down, the other will take over and no downtime will be noticed.

We appreciate everyone's patience throughout this and can promise forward progress in the coming future. Thank you.
Join WoW

HAPPYGOLUCKY

"Choke yourself!...with my hand, numbnuts!"

AngelKnightRay

We don't need to know what you say to yourself when youre in the mood for humping your dog.

Pokemon Diamond Friend Code: 0817 0232 9514

50 baby charmanders that have to go fast! 10 Milotics to trade as well, all legit, that must go , go , go!