Main Menu

Another upgrade

Started by Borthran, February 25, 2006, 12:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borthran

The site has been upgraded with Tiny Portal, a content management system.  So this means that now there is an extra button in the top menu.  Clicking on "Home" will actually take you to the new front page, and to view the forum, obviously you'll have to click on "Forum."
The site now has an actual front page, which is the "home" link.  All old bookmarks will continue to work (if for example you bookmarked www.seidou.org/forum). Along with this new system will come new features, and we will also be bringing back the picture gallery where all members have unlimited storage space for their pictures.  Other new site things are being considered.. if you have any ideas, post them or PM me.
Thank you and good day.
Join WoW

Dan

Mercury TP is working now.

ZERO-Ryoko

Uber sexcellent!

I woke up late, so I didn't have to wait around while the board was shut off.  :-*
-_____________-

The Lonely Moon

Sexcellent?...

Anyway, it am going to have to get used to not clicking "home" to go the forum. Hah.

It is pretty neato though. *nod*

HAPPYGOLUCKY

hmmm...I was not consulted on this. >.> The stockholders are pensive.

Still, I think I like it. Heed my huge words, though- If anything goes wrong, I'll be the first to bitch about it.  :P  ::)

Borthran

What could go wrong?  Its already merrily working :P
A front page had been in the works for like a decade, but finally I just decided to finish it one morning while nobody was online.  And look, now it goes straight to the homepage rather than that white redirect page when you go to http://seidou.org.  What's not to love?  :P
Actually, I could have made it redirect straight to the forum all along, but I didn't realize I was using the wrong method until I did the upgrade.
Join WoW

HAPPYGOLUCKY

Yes...You've failed me for the last time, Bob.
<.<
>.>

um, did you feel, like, a tightening in your windpipe. If not, nevermind.
<.<;;;

Hey, rig this bitch so that every time you get redirected, it plays the Rock's theme song, or some other appropriate music of aggression. Yeah, I like them apples.

The Lonely Moon

Happy, you lose and are not allowed to make any more suggestions. XD

But seriously, the force is weak in you!

Borthran

Hm, wasn't me.. maybe you killed another Bob (like NP or GS) by accident?

I have two issues with the new theme/setup that I will post here, even though I'm essentially the one that will have to fix it anyways >_>;

First, I noticed that the links at the bottom of the page went away.  I mean the links that used to go like
The Sanctuary > Announcements > BBS Announcements > Another upgrade
I used those all the time (to return to the forum/section home), and I think I might find a way to make them come back, because I miss them dearly.

Also, that darn home button is screwing with me.  I fully expect to go to the forum home when I click it, but I have to adjust to the forum button.  But I'm not going to do anything about that; I just need to adjust to it I guess.
Join WoW

The Lonely Moon

Quote from: bobn64 on February 28, 2006, 02:13:22 AM

First, I noticed that the links at the bottom of the page went away.  I mean the links that used to go like
The Sanctuary > Announcements > BBS Announcements > Another upgrade
I used those all the time (to return to the forum/section home), and I think I might find a way to make them come back, because I miss them dearly.

Agreed. I feel that the extra scrolling to the top is too much work. XD I know that is sad, but it's the truth. Haha.

Dan

Bob, that is just a template issue, the menus are PHP functions that are called from the main template for the particular theme, so you just need to stick it in where you want it.  Which theme do you want modifying?  I think I could insert and duplicate of the top menu or breadcrumbs in the bottom with having to mess about outside SMF.

Borthran

Well, since you're volunteering..
I use the default AIC theme.
I dont know why the new theme took that out at the bottom in the first place..  Oh well :ponder:
Join WoW

Dan

I take that back.  I will need to modify files outside SMF.  TP has changed the nature of the index template.  No worries, though, it'll have to wait until I'm not behind such a restrictive network (the only way I can FTP into is if I use an DSA encrypted FTP client)

Dan

That's not as fancy as it sounds, but it means I have hell trying to connect to things (like having to use a special FNAL Kerberised SSH client just to access the group's CVS)