Seidou.org is now members-only

Started by Borthran, February 12, 2009, 12:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lonely Moon

If people do not like it, then they do not have to sign in. They can just find a new place to lurk. If they are not contributing to the conversations anyway, we will not miss out on anything important said. But, if they decide they do want to say something, then they can go ahead and sign in. I don't see what the issue is. Why does it matter if we can see that you are signed in?

I was going t make this comment in the rant section, but perhaps it has something to do with the new permissions or spam, but:

WHY THE HELL IS SEIDOU.ORG SO SLOW TO LOAD?

Seriously, for almost two weeks now I couldn't get the site to load. From three different regularly used computers using XP Home, XP Pro, and Vista Home Premium all on FF 3.0.

You could do what I did at BGCMForums. Leave all the threads open to view, but can only comment if you sign in and the account is activated. But I don't know how that would reduce the spam?

JGZinv

Tried doing some system cleaning... tried IE to check differences?
Um... tried not using dialup?

Hardware failure?
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.

The Lonely Moon

It is not to keep people from spamming, it is to keep people (strangers) from seeing our information.  >_>;

Borthran

I sign on several times a day, and I haven't had any speed or connection issues.  Perhaps your ISP is to blame?
I'd suggest trying to access via IP address to eliminate any DNS problems, but as far as I can tell, the server isn't configured to allow that.

As for the privatization of the site.. it's not really intended to keep better logs of who viewed the site or make it difficult for lurkers.
Basically, going private allows us to discuss anything more freely, knowing that it is generally not going to be seen by the public.
Join WoW

iSmell

Quote from: lolakills on February 14, 2009, 11:42:31 PM
No need to know what we are talking about, just talk about anything.  I mean, look at Assface, he talks out of his ass all the time, and we still let him in.   ;D

:sweat2:

nitsuma

Not that it matters now, but I approve of this move. :P

I really need to drop by more often. Maybe I should make Seidou my home page...

Jibril

Quote from: The Lonely Moon on February 15, 2009, 01:15:48 AM
If people do not like it, then they do not have to sign in. They can just find a new place to lurk. If they are not contributing to the conversations anyway, we will not miss out on anything important said. But, if they decide they do want to say something, then they can go ahead and sign in. I don't see what the issue is. Why does it matter if we can see that you are signed in?

I don't like signing in because I have to find the passwords under my email.  That means signing onto two things.  I used to go in with my notebook, but now just on my desktop because I set that to "Remember Me"or something, something I'm not willing to do with a notebook.

There are so many passwords to remember today, do people have a system for it all  ???

The Lonely Moon

Lolz, well, that's your problem and not mine.

You can try index cards if you are that forgetful.

Borthran

I use like 5 different passwords total, and they're all committed to memory.  I don't see a need to have a different password for every site.

I also use the "remember me" function all the time.  I don't see a problem doing that with a laptop.. I lock the thing whenever I am not using it anyways, so if somebody happened to access it, they still couldn't do anything.
Join WoW

iSmell

ZERO-Ryoko

-_____________-

lolakills

All I need is some coffee to stay sharp

JGZinv

Firefox stores passwords and autocompletes login boxes... so that solves 90% of things
there. The other 10% is just using a set of passwords you won't forget.

Also keep a hardcopy list of passes somewhere hidden... physical paper not on the puter.

Like under your scalp... or sewn into the bottom of a shoe... or part of a giant wall mosaic you
can only read at a 75 degree angle standing upside down at 7 PM.

Maybe I've been watching to much National Treasure.   ;)
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.

The Lonely Moon